Saturday morning, Elle and I woke up early (for a Saturday anyway!) and went over to Arlington National Cemetery to participate in Wreaths Across America. This is the third year in a row that I have been able to help. To learn more about Wreaths Across America and how to participate in your part of the country, check out their web site:
This year, they had about 20,000 wreaths available to lay on the graves. Since there were so many, they divided up the group of volunteers to different sections of the cemetery. This is the group my friends Jill, Silvia, Elle and I worked with. Can anyone say 'organized chaos'? I haven't heard how many volunteers helped this year though.
Fortunately, the weather was probably the best we have had in the three years. We were bundled up pretty good though...I think Elle was ready to try out for a remake of 'A Christmas Story'.
I can't put my arms down!!!
The finished product.
It is always so beautiful at the end of the day.
I am amazed every year by the number of volunteers and the respectfulness of everyone involved. These events were started here in Arlington but now occur across the country. If you ever have the opportunity to particpate, I would recommend it. It is a great way to give back and support those who have served our country through the years.
No comments:
Post a Comment