Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Fair!

Today, we spent a good part of the afternoon at a county fair. Not our county fair though...we live in Arlington County but we wanted a real Virginia fair experience so we went a few counties out to Prince William county. They claim to have the largest county fair in the state.

I have to admit, for a midwestener, this was a pretty small fair overall (makes me wonder about the rest of the state...). But, for 14 month olds, this was perfect!

Elle and I in a small petting zoo area.

Elle in the barn.

Touchdown!!
Silly girl!

Most of our group.

Elle pet a goat! I have recently realized that northern Virginia has a very large proportion of goats compared to other farm animals. We walked into one barn today that said it had sheep in it...only to find more goats! Good thing Elle likes goats!

No organic hotdogs here. Full on fair food!
Today, we split a corndog, an ear of roasted corn and a rootbeer float with freshly homemade vanilla ice cream! Yum!!

This fair had some rather unusual 4-H entry categories.
Yes, that says "Best Decorated Potato". I can't say that I have ever seen that at an Ohio or Indiana county or state fair!

There were a lot of entries in a baked goods category that appeared to be "make your cupcake look like other food"
Burger and Fries cupcakes anyone?

Chinese food cupcakes?

How about reindeer cupcakes??

Still haven't found something for your craving? How about teeny, tiny stuffed turkeys??

Well, Elle wasn't impressed by the cupcakes...by the end of the day, she actually preferred her applesauce that I had brought from home! Healthy girl :)

We did have a great time though. The weather was supposed to be rainy but we lucked into a hot, humid sunny day!
Hope you had a good weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment