Monday, October 3, 2011

Design Rant

Ok, so far, I have restrained myself from complaining about the many poorly designed bathrooms we have encountered since Elle arrived. But, the architect in me (yes, she is still in there), finally got fed up last week.

I am consistently amazed by how poorly public bathrooms are designed related to location and functionality of changing tables.

Public Offender #1: If you are ever at the University Park mall in LaJolla, CA, avoid the bathroom in the food court. When open, the changing table essentially cuts off access in or out of the entire womens restroom. It is really fun to be constantly asked to move so someone can leave while you are in the middle of a diaper change. Forget about trying to have your stroller nearby!

Public Offender #2 (and the most recent...): The Atlanta airport.  Check this picture out.

Yes, that is a COLUMN cutting into what would have been a reasonably sized changing table. Seriously. And this was in the 'family' bathroom. Good thing Elle is so small!

On the other hand, I do have a few kudos:
Parent Friendly #1: Nortstroms Mothers Rooms! Yay for having a place in a mall to nurse, change diapers/dirty outfits, etc.

Parent Friendly #2: Boston Logan airport - again, has a nursing room!

I am sure there are others to applaud and complain about...
But for today, I just needed to vent about ATL!

Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment