Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week in Review

What a week! In case you missed it, DC was affected a bit by the storm that hit the east coast on Wednesday night. Around lunch on Wednesday, it was announced that the Federal Government was closing 2 hours early. My office follows their policy which means that I should have left work at 2:00. BUT, at 2:00 it still wasn't snowing. So, being the dedicated employee who was prepping for a meeting this weekend, I kept working and didn't get around to leave until 4:00 (when I normally leave).

BIG MISTAKE - which will not be repeated next time this happens! It had finally started raining/sleeting/snowing around 3:30. This city is notorious for not being able to drive in bad weather conditions...or good conditions for that matter. I have actually heard the traffic reporters complain about delays due to 'sun glare'. Really? You can't even drive when it is sunny????

Anyway, normally it takes me 15 minutes to get to Elle's daycare center. No such luck on Wednesday night. It took me 3 HOURS 45 MINUTES to get to her. She was the second to last kid to be picked up - talk about mommy guilt. Then it took another 45 minutes to get home from there. Exhausting, but we made it home safely and still had power so I am only whining...not complaining. It took one lady in my department 8.5 hours to get home...I am glad I live so close to work!

Once we finally made it home, I learned that our flight on Thursday morning had been cancelled already. It was a mixed blessing. I was supposed to work when we arrived in Austin and now I wouldn't make it to the meeting...but since I had gotten home so late, I hadn't been able to pack and ended up doing that Thursday morning.

So, we have been in Austin since Thursday evening. I haven't seen much of the city but I have learned a few things. If you ever visit and stay downtown with a child, remember that this is a college/party town. I never carry a lot of diapers or baby food with me to our destinations (most babysitters aren't comfortable feeding Elle like I do). I just plan ahead to know where I SHOULD be able to find these. Austin hasn't really cooperated. The only CVS downtown only had a few sizes of diapers...and only 2 flavors of baby food both are fruit. I like to have more options/variety of foods for them to offer her. Sadly, I was told that there really wasn't anywhere else to shop for her. I did finally find a place to pick up some yogurt and cheese though...resourceful mommy!

Tonight, I learned that not all restaurants have highchairs. Who knew?! So, along with a co-worker, we had Tex-Mex with a Elle sitting on my lap trying to eat off of my plate. Imagine this seating arrangement while eating guacamole and refried beans...Such fun!

Ok, I am done whining for tonight...just wanted to share our adventure filled week! I have found that Elle may have a few new favorite foods though.

I made carbonara the other night...watch closely and you can see Elle eating the spaghetti noodles. Reminded me of Lady and the Tramp or something equally cute :) On a side note, if you haven't tried it...Barilla is now making omega-3 filled pasta out of chickpeas and flaxseed (and a bunch of other stuff). It was really good and tasted much better than whole wheat pasta!

Since we have been here, she has had hummus two nights in a row (above)...by the spoonful and loves it!
Tonight at the TexMex place, she was eating guacamole by the spoonful too. Yummy!

We are stuck here in Austin until Monday...long work weekend :(

Hope you had a less stressful week than we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment